Cheesy vegan broccoli rice with a nut free and gluten free cheese sauce made with vegetables!
For the Cheese Sauce
- 2 medium russet potatoes (about 1 lb), peeled and cubed
- 2 large carrots, peeled and roughly chopped (if carrots are on the smaller side, use 3)
- 1 cup unsweetened and unflavored oat milk
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 tbsp tamari (gluten free soy sauce)*
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika (optional, for a subtly smokey flavor)
- 1/4 tsp turmeric (optional, for color)
- 1 + 1/2 tsp sea salt
- Black pepper, to taste
For the broccoli and rice
- 2 cups cooked white or brown rice (measure after cooking)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3 cups broccoli, cut into small florets (about 10 oz)
- 1/2 cup white onion, finely diced
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Start by making the cheese sauce. In a large pot, cover potatoes and carrots with water by 1 inch and bring to a boil. Boil for 10-12 minutes until veggies are fork tender. Remove veggies from water with a slotted spoon and blend with all other cheese sauce ingredients until super smooth. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, start cooking your rice according to directions on packaging. You will need 2 cups of COOKED rice.
- While your rice is cooking, sauté your broccoli and onion in a large pan with the olive oil and season with salt and pepper on medium heat until bright and soft, about 7-9 minutes. Turn off heat.
- When the rice is cooked and your cheese sauce is made, add the rice to the broccoli and onion, then pour in some cheese sauce. Stir together to combine, adding more cheese sauce as needed. Gently heat on low if needed before serving. Leftover cheese sauce can be kept in the refrigerator for up to 7 days.
*I do NOT recommend subbing coconut aminos here, as it will give a sweeter taste. The soy sauce also adds a salty umami flavor to the cheese sauce that’s essential!