Super simple vegan bolognese. Made with cauliflower rice, mushrooms, and carrots for a veggie-packed take on the classic sauce!
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 3 large carrots, finely diced
- 1/4 of a yellow onion, finely diced
- 3–4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 (12 oz) bag of frozen cauliflower rice
- 1 (8 oz) container of baby bella mushrooms, very finely diced
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 3/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes (or more, to taste)
- 1 (25 oz) jar of marinara sauce
- 1/2 cup canned crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth (up to 1/2 cup more, if needed)
- Prepare all of the veggies. You want to make sure they are diced into small pieces, to roughly resemble the texture of ground meat.
- Heat a large heavy bottom dutch oven or pot over medium heat. Once hot, add the olive oil, then stir in the carrot, onion, and garlic. Allow to cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the cauliflower and mushrooms (it’s ok if the cauliflower is still frozen). Season with the Italian seasoning, salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes. Stir, breaking up the cauliflower if needed. Allow to cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes.
- Pour in marinara, crushed tomatoes, and veggie broth. Allow to gently simmer until sauce has thickened and veggie are soft, about 25-30 minutes. If you find you need more liquid, add up to 1/2 cup extra veggie broth.
- Taste and adjust seasonings; serve with your favorite pasta!
This makes enough sauce for roughly a 12 oz box of pasta, depending how much sauce you use per serving.