Simple ground turkey (or chicken or beef) shepherd’s pie with a creamy parmesan mashed cauliflower topping!
For the mashed cauliflower topping:
- 1 head of cauliflower, cut into florets
- 1 tbsp butter
- 2–3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/3 cup plain Greek yogurt (or sub sour cream)
- 1/4 cup low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 cup grated parmesan
- Salt + pepper, to taste
For the filling:
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, finely diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 lb ground turkey (can sub ground chicken or beef)
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/4 tsp thyme
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- 1/2 cup low sodium vegetable broth (can sub chicken or beef broth)
- 2 cups frozen vegetable medley (with peas, corn, carrots, green beans)
- In a large stockpot, cover the cauliflower florets with water. Bring water to a boil and allow to boil until cauliflower is fork tender, about 10-12 minutes. Drain cauliflower and let drain for 2 minutes.
- Heat the same pot the cauliflower was cooked in on medium-low. Add butter and garlic; cook for about 30 seconds. Stir in the drained cauliflower, Greek yogurt, and parmesan. Season well with salt and pepper.
- Use an immersion blender to blend the ingredients until very smooth (alternatively you can blend in a food processor). Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Make the turkey and veggie filling. Heat a large pan over medium heat with the olive oil. Add your diced onion and sauté for 3-5 minutes. Stir in garlic, then add your ground turkey, oregano, thyme, and season with salt and pepper. Cook, breaking up to crumble the meat, until no longer pink.
- Stir in your tomato paste; allow to cook for 3 minutes. Add the broth and allow to simmer for 5 minutes. Stir in the frozen vegetables, then remove from heat.
- Add your filling to a square baking dish, then spread the mashed cauliflower over the top. Bake for 20-25 minutes; option to broil at the end for a few minutes to slightly brown the cauliflower. Serve and enjoy!