The best every gluten free, dairy free, and grain free fluffy banana cake with a simple chocolate frosting made with coconut milk and cacao powder!
For the cake
- 2 large ripe and spotty bananas (if bananas are small, use 3)
- 3 large eggs
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 + 1/2 cups almond flour
- 1/2 cup tapioca flour/starch
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
For the chocolate frosting
- 3/4 cup full fat coconut milk (thick creamy part only)
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 2 tbsp cacao or cocoa powder
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- Pinch of sea salt
- Chopped dairy free chocolate, for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line an 8×8 or 9×9 square baking sheet with parchment paper (or generously grease the baking dish).
- In a large bowl, mash your bananas. Whisk your eggs, maple syrup, and vanilla in with the bananas until smooth.
- Stir in your almond flour, tapioca flour, baking soda, baking powder, and sea salt until a smooth batter forms.
- Pour batter into your lined or greased baking dish, then bake for 30-35 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Meanwhile, open your can of coconut milk. If the thick white part is not separated from the watery part, stick the can in the refrigerator while cake is baking/cooling and be sure not to shake the can. To make your frosting, whisk together the coconut milk (again, be sure none of the watery part gets in), coconut sugar, cocoa powder, vanilla, and salt until as smooth as possible. Set in the refrigerator to chill until cake is completely cooled.
- Important: allow cake to COMPLETELY cool before frosting, sprinkling with chopped chocolate, slicing, and enjoying!