Gluten free tortellini soup, with a vegetarian option. Easy, delicious, and packed with veggies!
- 1 lb ground beef (optional; leave out for vegetarian)
- Olive oil
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 medium yellow or white onion, finely diced
- 2 large carrots, sliced
- 2 stalks of celery, sliced
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Pinch of red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp Italian seasonings
- 10 oz frozen chopped baby spinach
- 8 cups low sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 (17.6) carton of crushed tomatoes
- 9 oz fresh (refrigerated) gluten free tortellini
- Juice of 1/2 a lemon
Optional for serving:
- Sourdough bread (my favorite gluten free sourdough linked here)
- Heat a large dutch oven or large pot with a lid over medium heat, then add your ground beef. Season well with salt and pepper. Cook until no longer pink, then remove from pot and set aside. *Skip this step and just go to step 2 for vegetarian.
- Add 1-2 tbsp of olive oil to the pot, then stir in the garlic, onion, celery, and carrot. Season well with salt and pepper, pinch of red pepper flakes, and 1 tsp Italian seasoning. Allow to cook for 8 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in your frozen chopped spinach, then add your crushed tomatoes, broth, and your cooked beef. Bring to a simmer, cover, and allow to simmer until veggies are soft, about 20-25 minutes.
- Remove lid, then add your tortellini and cook according to package instructions (mine took 4 minutes). Turn off heat, add your fresh lemon juice, stir, taste and adjust seasonings as needed and serve. Serving tip: be sure to add a few ladles full of just broth to the bowl in addition to the rest of the soup to keep it nice and soupy for dipping bread.