Simple high protein and veggie-packed breakfast egg bake!
- 3 tbsp olive oil or avocado oil, divided
- 1 small-medium white onion, finely diced
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 1 lb ground chicken (can sub ground beef, ground turkey, or ground pork)
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1.5 lbs of potatoes, diced into small cubes
- 2 cups of baby spinach, roughly chopped
- 6 eggs
- 1/3 cup milk of choice
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided
- Preheat oven to 375°F and grease a 9×13″ baking dish.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat with 2 tbsp of oil. Sauté onion and bell pepper, stirring occasionally, for 4-5 minutes.
- To the pan with the onion and pepper, add the ground chicken, paprika, garlic, oregano, salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes. Cook, breaking up the meat, until no longer pink, about 5-7 minutes. Add mixture to a large mixing bowl and set aside.
- Add another tbsp of oil to the pan along with the diced potatoes over medium heat (make sure the potatoes are cut into pretty small cubes, or they will take too long to cook). Season well with salt and pepper. Sauté, stirring occasionally, for 7 minutes. Add to the same bowl with the onion, pepper, and ground meat. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs and milk. Stir into the meat and veggies along with 1 + 1/2 cups of the cheese and the spinach.
- Pour into your greased baking dish. Top with the remaining cheese. Cover with aluminum foil** and bake for 40 minutes. Remove foil and bake another 10-15 minutes. Allow to cool for at least 10 minutes before serving. Leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
**If you have a ceramic baking dish that comes with a lid, you can cover with that instead of foil.