The best simple tomato sauce with tons of hidden veggies! Vegan, gluten free, and nut free.
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ½ medium yellow onion, finely diced
- 2 bell peppers, diced
- 3 stalks of celery, diced
- 4–5 large carrots, diced
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp Italian seasonings
- ½ tsp sea salt, plus more to taste
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- ¼ tsp red pepper flakes
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- ½ cup dry red wine (optional, but adds some extra flavor)
- 2 (28 oz) cans whole peeled tomatoes and their juices
Optional Vegan Parmesan for Serving:
- 1/4 cup raw cashews
- 2 tbsp hemp seeds
- 1.5 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/8 tsp garlic powder
- Heat a large pan with high sides over medium heat with the olive oil. Once hot, stir in the onion, peppers, celery, carrots, and garlic. Stir in the Italian seasonings, salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes. Allow to cook, stirring occasionally, for 10-12 minutes, until veggies are soft.
- Stir in the tomato paste, then allow to cook down for 3 minutes. Pour in the red wine and again allow to cook for for 3-4 minutes.
- Stir in the tomatoes and their juices, slightly breaking up the tomatoes. Allow to simmer for at least 40 minutes
- While veggies are simmering, make the vegan parmesan (optional). Add all parmesan ingredients to your blender and pulse until a fine crumb is created. Be sure not to over blend into a paste. Set aside in a small bowl.
- Carefully spoon the sauce ingredients into your Vitamix, then blend until super smooth. Depending on the size of your Vitamix, you may need to blend in batches.
- Return blended sauce to your hot pan while you cook your pasta of choice before mixing with sauce and serving. *Note, this can also be served with any protein, veggies, or spaghetti squash instead of pasta!