Super simple mashed potatoes and gluten free gravy. Can be made totally vegan, too!
For the Mashed Potatoes
- 1.5 lb Yukon gold potatoes (for me these was 7 or 8 medium potatoes), option to peel
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter (sub vegan butter)
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 cup oat milk, plus more as needed
For the Gravy
- 2 cups of low sodium vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup gluten free all purpose flour
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp tamari (gluten free soy sauce)
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp dried thyme
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- Sea salt, to taste
- To make the potatoes, peel the potatoes (optional if you like to leave the skin on), then slice each potato in half. Cover with water by 1 inch in a large pot and bring to a boil. Boil until you can easily slice a knife through the potatoes, about 25-30 minutes.
- Drain the potatoes. While potatoes are draining, return the hot pot to low heat and add the butter. Once melted, stir in the garlic and salt and pepper and sauté for 30 seconds. Add the potatoes back in and turn off heat. Use a potato masher to mash everything together until well-combined, the pour in the oat milk and stir with a wooden spoon or rubber spatula until creamy, adding more oat milk as needed.
- Make the gravy: add all gravy ingredients to a sauce pan and whisk together. Heat over medium until boiling, then whisk continuously for about 3-4 until smooth, glossy, and thickened. Serve with potatoes; store leftovers in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.