Simple and cozy gluten free Sicilian chicken noodle soup! Perfect for colder weather, busy weeknights, and a meal prep staple!
- 4 boneless skinless chicken thighs (about 1 lb)
- 1/2 yellow onion, finely diced
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 2 medium red potatoes, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 2–3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (14.5 oz) can no-salt fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 1/2 tbsp sea salt
- 2 cups of low sodium vegetable broth
- 2 cups of water
- 1/2 cup dry short pasta of choice
- 1 handful of fresh Italian parsley, roughly chopped
- Black pepper, to taste
- Heat a large stock pot over medium heat, then stir together the canned tomatoes, chicken thighs, onion, garlic, celery, carrots, potatoes, and bay leaf. Season with 1/2 tbsp sea salt.
- Pour in the vegetable broth and water, and give everything a good stir.
- Cover the pan partially and bring everything to a boil. Once boiling, reduce heat to a simmer for 30 minutes.
- Remove chicken thighs from the soup and set aside, then stir in the pasta. Simmer until the pasta noodles are tender, about 15 minutes.
- While pasta is cooking, shred the chicken with 2 forks. Once the pasta is done, stir in the shredded chicken, parsley, and season with black pepper. Serve.